Monday, November 15, 2010

Professional learning on-line

My mom (former principal) has previosly been involved with bringing Sue Pearson from The Center for  effective learning into Cobb County to train her staff as well as others with model teaching.I have not been able to attend the training which has been in the summer. A colleague and friend was able to atend last summer and raved about it. When the opportuntiy came through class to attend a webinar, I decided to learn more about Highly Effective Teaching.

The name of the session was Assessment: Formative and Summative through The Center For Effective Learning The webinar was on September 23rd at 6:30pm. Participants signed up prior to the webinar and a reminder e-mail was sent. The webinar was held in Gotowebinar.com
I have not had any prior webinar experience but I have had on-line classes through Wimba that prepared me with the norms and expectations of a webinar.  This webinar looked at assessment. The presenter broke assessment down into traditional and alternative assessment, the reasons for assessment, and some assessment tools. I felt as engaged as you can be in an on-line setting where you are missing that non-verbal communication from the presenter. I feel that I would use webinars for topics that I already have a foundation in so that I am just deepening my understanding of it and not trying to wrap my head around a new concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment